Thursday, 16 June 2011

Printing Tecniques

To discover different ways of printing techniques we went into an art room to play with different types of etching. The first techniques involved getting a glass base and rolling ink on it; you put a piece of paper on top of it and drew on your design, if you wished you could add a few different colour layers to complete the work. The second technique was based around scratching you design onto a piece of plastic with a metal screw, after this you rubbed the ink into the scratches then wipe the remaining ink off. To get the design onto the piece of paper you needed to wet the paper and then put the plastic ink side up which the paper and cloth on top of it, then to complete the printing technique you need to put it into a roller.

First Design
VIDEO BOY LETTERS

In this design I decided to do this because I thought I could included the letters on the Digi pack cover. The detailing in the letters V and B try to reflect the personality of the artist and what he talks about in his songs, the two pictures included city buildings, different words, symbols and video representations. I did this to help me understand what I could do on my front cover to make it even more interesting, but in the end I believe it would be too much to have this design and the detailed character together on the same page, so this idea will not work in the final product.
Second Design
A CARTOON CHARACTER

In this design I was trying to think of other ways I could make the Video Boy character, I traced this image of a cartoon character to get an image of what this design could look like. In the end the character did not turn out as well as I thought, this is due to the way of the etching being hard to control which made the final design look very out of control. The other down side of this technique is it is hard to see what your design looks like on the plastic, I discovered that some details were off the main line as I could not see the centre of the character. I will not use this printing technique in my final character as I will stick to the newspaper collage; I feel it works better for me and the outcome effect of the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment